American Hair Research Society Mentorship Program
The AHRS Mentorship Program is one of the important successes of AHRS. It was founded in 2003 and continues to be a popular program that brings together students and mentors from not only across the Americas, but from across the globe. The program allows students with an interest in hair research to spend time with a senior faculty member from another institution.
Corporate donations help make the program possible. AHRS is grateful to all corporate donors, and especially acknowledges Bosley for its long term support of the program, since inception. During the program’s early years, Bosley was the sole supporter of the program.
AHRS Mentorship Program Details
Applications for the 2024 AHRS Mentorship Grant Program are now closed.
It is required that both Applicant and Mentor be an American Hair Research Society member to be eligible to apply for a Mentorship Grant.
If you or your Mentor are not AHRS members, please apply for membership prior to submitting your Mentorship Grant application. The membership application can be found here.
Applications must include:
- Completed application form accessed and submitted via online portal.
- Statement of purpose (300-500 words), to include:
- Description of your career goals.
- Description of the goal(s) of the proposed mentorship and any specific project planned.
- How you envision this mentorship will impact your future career in hair research.
- How the experience specifically will help prepare you to be a leader in hair research.
- Applicant’s curriculum vitae.
- A letter from the proposed mentor to include:
- A statement of willingness to provide the time necessary for this mentorship.
- Any significant and pertinent details of the planned mentorship.
- A specific mention of whether the time frame and budget are appropriate for the proposed mentorship.
- A letter from the applicant's current department chair attesting to the applicant’s character and potential to benefit from the mentorship.
Please note: All required components of the application must be completed and/or uploaded by Nov. 30, 2023. There are no exceptions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Applying the following points will assist us to process your application.
- All submitted documents should be in PDF format.
- Letters from proposed mentors and department chairs should be written on their institutional letterhead and include the signature of the writer.
- Please include a direct contact phone number and email for yourself in your application. We will contact you via email and/or phone if we require further information. Please be alert to this and check your email spam folder regularly.
Grant awardees are required to submit a one-page written report summarizing the experience and what was learned after the mentorship has been completed, along with a photo of the mentee and mentor together (if possible), for potential publication on the AHRS website.
Completed applications must be received by November 30, 2023. After we receive your application, you will receive a confirmation email within 48 hours. If you have not heard from us within that time frame, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm we received your application.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application in January 2024. Successful grant awardees will be invited to attend the AHRS Luncheon at the 2024 American Academy of Dermatology (AAD) Annual Meeting, taking place on Friday, March 8, 2024, in San Diego, where the awards will be announced.